|The STRI (Sports Turf Research Institute) is an independent organisation formed over 75 years ago to provide research and consultancy services for the golf and sports industry. These services have developed to cover a wide range of subjects within and around the turf industry generally, covering research, agronomy, construction projects, irrigation, ecology, and laboratory analyses, for example. The organisation is UK based, but has worked extensively in Europe and beyond.
Recent and current projects include:
- Royal Ascot Racecourse – research on racecourse surfaces for the Ascot Authority, design and construction of the new course, and an associated development of a new golf course for Royal Ascot Golf Club;
- The R&A – Agronomy, irrigation and ecology services in support of the organising body of golf outside the USA, and on the Open golf championship venues;
- Wembley Stadium – design, construction monitoring and laboratory services for the English FA on the new national stadium. The STRI carried out a similar role for the new FA National Football Centre;
- Commonwealth Games Stadium (Manchester City FC stadium) – design and construction monitoring for this prestigious new facility, which has a semi-natural grass surface, and was converted from athletics to soccer;
- Twickenham – research on light effects on turf of the proposed new South stand at the home of English rugby;
- Wimbledon – agronomy support throughout the LTA tennis championships.
- Golf course design and advisory services in Romania, Greece, and China. The STRI has been involved in well over 250 golf projects, and is the agronomy consultant on many more.